1st SAL.....Peg, Dale and I committed to stitching Anni Downs - A Gardener's Journal in March. I blogged about this on my blog thinking maybe one or 2 others may join us and lots of girls indicated an interest so I decided to start this blog where we can all encourage each other to meet the goals set along the way....March 2010 -March 2011...........
2nd SAL ......well so many of the girls wanted to continue on with another project and some new girls joined us and now approx 91 girls are stitching Natalie Bird's Tis the Season. March to Sept 2011...............
3rd SAL....many girls want to stick with the SAL so now we have moved onto Anni Downs Some Kind of Wonderful - My Favourite Things Quilt.......Oct 2011-Oct 2012.........
Where are we now.....
4th SAL 2013...is numerous smaller projects from the previous 2 books Tis the Season and Some Kind of Wonderful plus some projects from Red Home by Natalie Bird approx 60 ladies stitching together.........
2014 we had the year off..............
5th SAL 2015..........inspired to continue we are doing another quilt project.....Anni Downs newest quilt Natures Journey.....
6th SAL 2017.............A Holly Cottage Christmas by Michelle Ridgway.......once again the pattern is in an affordable book so it is easy for everyone to join in...........and you can raid your stash for the fabrics........or lash out and buy a the whole lot........this SAL will be run by Fiona aka Bubz Rugz and Raewyn........
Chookyblue........

Saturday, March 26, 2011

My experiment findings

Ok, this Hillbilly Stitcher has been trying out my experiments in my free time.
Here are some things that I have decided....

Printing the pattern on the computer...YES! I was afraid that the ink would show if I only used two strands and that I wouldn't get the design totally covered by my floss. My only mis-hap...allow seam allowances. I've already talked about that and I know that my blocks have issues. I will explain how to print them out next week on the Hillbilly Handiworks blog.

Two or Four Strands...My teenage boy says two strands for sure. Now this is kind of scary coming from a teenage boy, but he has grown up with me quilting his whole life and learned to work a sewing machine at age three, so he probably knows his stuff. I do like the 4 strands if I want a very primitive look though.

 What do you think? 4 strands on the left; 2 on the right.

Thin fusible batting on the back of the stitching...(instead of interfacing)...I LOVE IT!! I don't have any wrinkle problems; the blocks did not stretch out of shape so there is no worries from piecing it first. ( This is very very thin. It comes on a bolt.)

If you have no idea what I am talking about; I talked about all this on my previous post that you can find RIGHT HERE.

Finally, I have a question for you some of you. Is Cottage Garden thread more like Cosmo or DMC floss? Does anyone know? The colors are so beautiful for Cottage Garden!!

Oops had to come back and edit and sign my name so Chooky wouldn't pull out the whip on me.

~Hillbilly Tonya~

4 comments:

Kris said...

Well, I have used all three of those threads but am a loss as to which is like which. I did really like using the Cottage Garden threads. So much so that I bought extras while I was on the retreat which introduced them to me.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tonya i like the look of either the 2 or 4 threads,but myself i would use the 2 i think,good luck.

Chookyblue...... said...

good to try different things...........will keep an eye out for your post........oh and lucky you added your name........lol

Simone de Klerk said...

Clever teenager (o: i would go for 2 threads too (I always do!)
But, I think the 4 strings looks very pretty too.