1st SAL.....Peg, Dale and I committed to stitching Anni Downs - A Gardener's Journal in March. I blogged about this on my blog thinking maybe one or 2 others may join us and lots of girls indicated an interest so I decided to start this blog where we can all encourage each other to meet the goals set along the way....March 2010 -March 2011...........
2nd SAL ......well so many of the girls wanted to continue on with another project and some new girls joined us and now approx 91 girls are stitching Natalie Bird's Tis the Season. March to Sept 2011...............
3rd SAL....many girls want to stick with the SAL so now we have moved onto Anni Downs Some Kind of Wonderful - My Favourite Things Quilt.......Oct 2011-Oct 2012.........
Where are we now.....
4th SAL 2013...is numerous smaller projects from the previous 2 books Tis the Season and Some Kind of Wonderful plus some projects from Red Home by Natalie Bird approx 60 ladies stitching together.........
2014 we had the year off..............
5th SAL 2015..........inspired to continue we are doing another quilt project.....Anni Downs newest quilt Natures Journey.....
6th SAL 2017.............A Holly Cottage Christmas by Michelle Ridgway.......once again the pattern is in an affordable book so it is easy for everyone to join in...........and you can raid your stash for the fabrics........or lash out and buy a the whole lot........this SAL will be run by Fiona aka Bubz Rugz and Raewyn........
Chookyblue........

Friday, April 1, 2011

Just Wondering?

I've done the stitcheries for 6 or 7 blocks because I'm going to do some projects in the book other than the quilt...I've only trimmed one (there was barely room for a seam) and sewn on the patchwork strips to complete the block....The book says: Trim the stitchery to 4.5 inches.....if I measure from the running (outline) stitch on one side to the same on the other it is just shy of 4 inches.....maybe 3 7/8"....the book also says: make 1/4" seams...but if I cut the blocks 4.5" and take a 1/4" seam, I'm sewing on top of that running stitch....Anyone with me on this?  I see that some of you are increasing the size of your stitchery block and I am thinking this is why....So I'm going to cut the rest of mine 5 inches which will give me the 1/4" seam allowance with 1/4" between the seam and the running stitch. Does anyone see in the book what the final block should measure?
I think I will probably have my March blocks ready to show & tell the first of next week.

8 comments:

Sylvia said...

I have trimmed mine to 4 1/2" and it does work. The running stitch is just outside the seam allowance so you have to cut very carefully and centre your block carefully so there is about 3/8" on each side. It is a bit tricky. Your quilt will be a little larger if you do 5". Your side strips will also have to be cut larger too.

Jindi's Cottage said...

I can't find the final block size in the book but doing the maths...the centre stitchery finishes at 4", the two borders finish at 1" each...making a block 6" finished (6 1/2" unfinished)...hope this helps.
But you know, as long as all your blocks are the same size as each other you can just adjust and cut the length of all your borders to fit so really it doesn't matter if your stitchery block is 1/2" larger...

Vicky said...

I trimmed mine to 5" because I just didn't feel that the 4.5" worked for me. I prefer it trimmed that little bit bigger.

Quilt Kitty said...

That is exactly what I have done too. The 4.5 inches just ran too close to the border & over some of the crosses in my case. I have used 5 inches for my 3 in my last post & am loving them now. Tracee xx

Pia said...

Jindi's are almost right but it's 2 borders 1" on EACH side and this makes the final measurement 8x8" (1+1+4+1+1=8).
I had no problems trimming to 4½" square and putting on borders.

Chookyblue...... said...

trace the centre and put the borders on then draw the border lines in.........it fits you just have to be careful.............

Miss Hillbilly said...

I messed mine up because I printed them via my printer and was trying to do it without the border lines. I didn't leave enough seam allowance so after I am done I'm making another with larger blocks all together.

Helen said...

I'm trimming mine to the pattern measurement, seems to be ok for me but as chooky said maybe you could put the line on after you do the sashings.

Helen