1st SAL.....Peg, Dale and I committed to stitching Anni Downs - A Gardener's Journal in March. I blogged about this on my blog thinking maybe one or 2 others may join us and lots of girls indicated an interest so I decided to start this blog where we can all encourage each other to meet the goals set along the way....March 2010 -March 2011...........
2nd SAL ......well so many of the girls wanted to continue on with another project and some new girls joined us and now approx 91 girls are stitching Natalie Bird's Tis the Season. March to Sept 2011...............
3rd SAL....many girls want to stick with the SAL so now we have moved onto Anni Downs Some Kind of Wonderful - My Favourite Things Quilt.......Oct 2011-Oct 2012.........
Where are we now.....
4th SAL 2013...is numerous smaller projects from the previous 2 books Tis the Season and Some Kind of Wonderful plus some projects from Red Home by Natalie Bird approx 60 ladies stitching together.........
2014 we had the year off..............
5th SAL 2015..........inspired to continue we are doing another quilt project.....Anni Downs newest quilt Natures Journey.....
6th SAL 2017.............A Holly Cottage Christmas by Michelle Ridgway.......once again the pattern is in an affordable book so it is easy for everyone to join in...........and you can raid your stash for the fabrics........or lash out and buy a the whole lot........this SAL will be run by Fiona aka Bubz Rugz and Raewyn........
Chookyblue........

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Thread recommendations please.

I'm interested to know what others are using to stitch on their applique pieces.  I have read various opinions on silk, polyester and cotton, and now I'm struggling to know which is best.  And as far as quality goes, is Gutterman from Spotlight good enough?

Any comments appreciated.

Helen

14 comments:

Kate said...

I only use guterman cotton for my needleturn appliqué and I have never had an issue and I always use the one colour either 828 or 919

Fiona said...

I think it really is on preference but I believe the cotton is stronger and silk is nice and easy to hide but would not like a lot of use and wear. Personally I like cotton on cotton or a poly cotton blend. and Gutterman is a good quality thread. I stand to be corrected though and will check back to see what others say...
Hugz

Larissa said...

I also only use cotton, mainly because it is stronger and my fabrics are cotton ... but then I've heard that silk sinks into the fabric and hides heaps well, really good for show quilts or ones that aren't likely to be washed or handled regularly ... Gutermann is a great cotton thread ... I am using some 'Masterpiece Superior Threads' after getting some rings of different coloured threads a few months back ... I have also heard two different ideas on colours of thread used - using neutral colours throughout or colours that match the applique fabric - I think either way works, though I would recommend sticking with one throughout... Hope this helps!

Sharon - Lilabelle Lane said...

I'm using Gutterman and don't have a problem with it.

Helen said...

Thanks so much for your comments. Gutterman it is then. I'll shoot down to Spotlight now. I can't wait to get started!

Shiralee Stitches said...

Just to add another viewpoint, I did use Guterman until I found THE BEST and most forgiving thread for needlturn, in that you won't even see a stitch the thread is so fine......Superior threads Bottomline thread....it is a 60wt polyester, and whilst I generally use cotton, i have found this a lot stronger, finer and easier to work with.....this is Sue Daley's thread of choice for EPP and needleturn.....

Susan said...

The Bottom line sounds like a great idea - personally I would match the fabric I am appliquing - but if you are very neat and hide your stitches you could use any colour.

Jindi's Cottage said...

I'm a cotton on cotton girl. Cotton fabric softens over time and so does the thread. Polyester doesn't do this and may in time "saw" through the fabric. I don't like the idea of cotton over a polyester core for this reason, like Rasant, it just doesn't seem logical to me although I have friends who swear by that particular thread. My preference is Aurifil, an Italian cotton thread in an awesome array of colours in various weights...silky, even and not slubby. I don't like Gutterman unless there is no other option available as I find it thick, coarse and sometimes slubby. Silk and I had an amicable divorce after trying reconcilliation a couple of times, my reels of YLI silk now reside at my friend's house where they are loved and appreciated. Just my 2 cents worth. Really it all comes down to personal preference.
As to colour..if I have the colour on hand then I use it, if not I find something neutral, as long as it blends in, currently I'm appliqueing small pieces of many different fabrics in a continuous line so I'm using a netural. At other times on the same quilt where there are large expanses of the same colour I use a colour match.

Rose Marie said...

I use Gutterman or J&P Coats (poly/cotton combo). Silk is lovely, but it always got caught on any rough skin on my fingers (too many pinpricks) and would fray.

Love Bears All Things said...

Isn't it great that we have this forum to post information on while working on the same project.
Mama Bear

Chookyblue...... said...

i'm just here hanging out reading the comments............

Helen said...

I guess I will add my bit, I'm a silk thread girl for needleturn, just love it. Interesting reading everyones ideas.

Helen

FloS said...

Hi Helen,
I had the chance to have 2 workshops with Lynette Anderson this year. In the prepared kit we got she put a little spool of Bottomline thread and I found it wonderful !!! it's very thin and you can't see your thread on the appliqué shape !! I'm very frustrated now because,OF COURSE, we can't find them here !!!! but if you can I will encourage you to choose this thread !
Florence

Jo in TAS said...

Bottomline is my favourite, makes the job so much easier. I've got a big real of a cream colour, I use it for everything and it doesn't show up on the darker colours.