1st SAL.....Peg, Dale and I committed to stitching Anni Downs - A Gardener's Journal in March. I blogged about this on my blog thinking maybe one or 2 others may join us and lots of girls indicated an interest so I decided to start this blog where we can all encourage each other to meet the goals set along the way....March 2010 -March 2011...........
2nd SAL ......well so many of the girls wanted to continue on with another project and some new girls joined us and now approx 91 girls are stitching Natalie Bird's Tis the Season. March to Sept 2011...............
3rd SAL....many girls want to stick with the SAL so now we have moved onto Anni Downs Some Kind of Wonderful - My Favourite Things Quilt.......Oct 2011-Oct 2012.........
Where are we now.....
4th SAL 2013...is numerous smaller projects from the previous 2 books Tis the Season and Some Kind of Wonderful plus some projects from Red Home by Natalie Bird approx 60 ladies stitching together.........
2014 we had the year off..............
5th SAL 2015..........inspired to continue we are doing another quilt project.....Anni Downs newest quilt Natures Journey.....
6th SAL 2017.............A Holly Cottage Christmas by Michelle Ridgway.......once again the pattern is in an affordable book so it is easy for everyone to join in...........and you can raid your stash for the fabrics........or lash out and buy a the whole lot........this SAL will be run by Fiona aka Bubz Rugz and Raewyn........
Chookyblue........

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Nothing to Show....

...but not because I have been ignoring this project...I've just been working on preparation of the whole quilt as I did for GJ and TTS and that takes a lot of time...all the backgrounds have been cut...the small squares are residing in their ziplock baggies and the sashing strip pile is growing nicely.  I was going to blanket stitch the applique blocks but while wandering through some books, looking for something not at all related to SKoW, I chanced upon really good instructions for a method I knew about but haven't tried before - back basting - so I am now tracing all the designs on the back of the background fabrics then I want to prep them all so that I can simply pick up and go to stitchy group and take along a block all ready to be stitched...once all the prep is done the actual applique stitching should fly along nicely (well in theory anyway)...my usual methodology is the turn and baste method anyway so same amount of preparation but I should get a nicer finish (again, in theory).

Happy New Year to everyone...next time, pictures! (again, in theory)...

AnnetteM
Jindi's Cottage

PS I logged in to write this post and see that the previous one is from Chooky...I go to the reader to see what she had written and oh oh, the whip is cracking...those vibes to get a progress report up must have gotten through!  That whip sure does its job!!

4 comments:

Susan said...

Thats not such a bad idea really - its always the preparation that takes the time - the actual sewing seems to go quite easily! Happy New Year

Kris said...

Hi Annette!

Back basting does give a nice finish and preping everything first is a great idea! Look forward to your pictures!

Fiona said...

The prep work took me hours... but so great to have it all together ... I don't know back basting ... must look it up...
Hugz

Chookyblue...... said...

so have you done any more since this post..........I am catching up now so we'll see.........."crack"