1st SAL.....Peg, Dale and I committed to stitching Anni Downs - A Gardener's Journal in March. I blogged about this on my blog thinking maybe one or 2 others may join us and lots of girls indicated an interest so I decided to start this blog where we can all encourage each other to meet the goals set along the way....March 2010 -March 2011...........
2nd SAL ......well so many of the girls wanted to continue on with another project and some new girls joined us and now approx 91 girls are stitching Natalie Bird's Tis the Season. March to Sept 2011...............
3rd SAL....many girls want to stick with the SAL so now we have moved onto Anni Downs Some Kind of Wonderful - My Favourite Things Quilt.......Oct 2011-Oct 2012.........
Where are we now.....
4th SAL 2013...is numerous smaller projects from the previous 2 books Tis the Season and Some Kind of Wonderful plus some projects from Red Home by Natalie Bird approx 60 ladies stitching together.........
2014 we had the year off..............
5th SAL 2015..........inspired to continue we are doing another quilt project.....Anni Downs newest quilt Natures Journey.....
6th SAL 2017.............A Holly Cottage Christmas by Michelle Ridgway.......once again the pattern is in an affordable book so it is easy for everyone to join in...........and you can raid your stash for the fabrics........or lash out and buy a the whole lot........this SAL will be run by Fiona aka Bubz Rugz and Raewyn........
Chookyblue........

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

February Blocks....

Sorry Chooky for being tardy with this post. I have all the blocks appliqued and one block stitched. The stitched block has a bleed of color in the purple section of the thread. I am going to wait until I do the March blocks to embroider these as I am trying to get my thread to set. A couple of dips in boiling water should do the trick. So I hope you can mark me off for this month. What a learning curve for me. I moved away from my regular method of applique, which is blanket stitch to doing needle turn on this little quilt. Whew! All those little pieces were a bugger to get down until I found a rhythm as I went along. I do hope I improve much more over the course of this quilt. I also changed a few things as I went. I made a five petal daisy instead of the funny little flower. Then I decided I had had enough of those tiny circles and used an extra hexagon and heart for the circles. There will be changes in this months blocks as well. I think it is ok to make the changes as it reflects what I like best. All in all this has been a great learning curve this past month. I promise to be on time this month and have them all ready for inspection soon. I have made a start with cutting out all the shapes and preparing the blocks for stitching them down. Any advice on needle turn with these tiny pieces would be much appreciated.
WendyF

6 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

I struggled with needle turn when I first tried it..........just could not get it in my head............one day it clicked and I finished and whole cushion in a few days........
I haven't got to that part yet but I hope it all comes back........goodluck with the thread....what sort are you using.......hope to see your finished blocks soon........

Simone Harding said...

Loving your fabric choices.

Wendy said...

Hi Chooky, I am using hand dyed thread from a very wonderful source. I was supposed to make sure it did not bleed before I stitched with it so I could make it run proof before hand if need be, but I forgot in my hurry to finish my blocks. I am now waiting for the thread to dry and then I will be using it to do the embroidery. I have five of March blocks completed so will have a marathon day of embroidery on the weekend.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Love the fabric Wendy

Susan said...

Love your colours...darn about the thread...but hopefully you have sorted it out by now.

Sonia said...

Loving your choices too Wendy. I see we have a matching back fabric. ;).

I too need to know the secret on neat points. Tackling the big star of March today, it needs some work.